Sunday, September 14, 2008

A New Year

I love it when school starts each fall. It feels more like a "new year" than it does even in January. We're get back on a schedule of sorts (even if that schedule includes late nights filled with homework), the weather cools off so you can feel like getting outside for some exercise, and I get the urge to set goals and try and improve myself. I like that I don't feel the pressure of making (and failing) New Year's resolutions; those set in September seem to last longer for me because I want to do it not because someone said you should do it.

This fall takes on a whole new meaning as well because it marks the second year of our mission. I said something to my mom like, "Well, in two years. . . ." and she said, "You mean one year and ten months!" Wow. I can't even say we have two years left! It's going so very fast.

What have I done? Is it a solid year's worth? Didn't I hope to have more of the language learned by now? Will it take an entire three years to be able to really communicate the words of my heart in Italian -- only to have to go home? Have I shared my feelings enough about the Savior of the world who gave His life so that we might have a second, and a third, and. . . well . . . many chances to turn our life around? Have I shown enough love? Have I done any good? And is this how our missionaries feel? Two years is an awful long time (especially for those parents who are waiting), but the missionaries always say it's too short. I guess I'd better get to work!

In an attempt to do better, I've spent the day reorganizing our website and blog so that I can start communicating better with family and friends. (Thank you, Elder Aycock for giving me the tools.) I'm afraid those family members and friends (you!) have probably given up on me, but I'm really going to try to do better. It's hard because you can always feel guilty about something you're doing or not doing, but this is important and it's just another way that I can share my feelings about why we're here. So I'll try to make it a priority (along with helping the children, cooking for missionaries, and preparing talks). I just have to remember to say "yes" and the Lord will provide a way.

As a bit of a family update, Scott, Marianne, and Stephanie returned mid-August after spending two months in Utah and have been back in school for two weeks. Mark is working at the hospital and waiting for medical school interviews while Aersta is finishing up her last semester at BYU and working at a pre-school. Kimberly is in the Missionary Training Center (MTC) and anxiously waiting to fly to Milan to start the "real" part of her mission next week. Lisa is busy studying at BYU so she can become a teacher and is finally able to room with her very best friend! We miss the older children but feel so blessed to have the younger ones here with us.

President Acerson is traveling a lot so he can train, interview, and love the missionaries and members. We have our three-month conference coming up this week followed by transfers next week where we lose eight wonderful missionaries but welcome five equally wonderful missionaries into our mission. Two of those coming are Italians (yeah!) and three are missionaries who have just spent two months with Kimberly in the MTC! It will be fun to see them (and find out how many "crazy mother stories" Kimberly has shared with them!)

We finally got rain this past weekend. What a relief. It now feels a bit more like fall. From a summer full of hot days to a blessed cool one in less than 12 hours. I can't say it enough: What a relief. Especially for our missionaries!

We had an incredible Sunday School lesson today. Our teacher is one of the best. She talked about the importance of prophets and the importance of listening to the prophet. I'm excited for General Conference in three weeks, when we get to "listen to a prophet's voice." I love that we have someone to look to to give us the loving advice and direction that we would get from our Father in Heaven. I love the gentle and direct reminders to love, forgive, repent, and prepare for the second coming of our Savior, Jesus Christ. I remember hearing from a general authority who came to speak at a stake conference years ago. He said, "In Biblical times, the people stoned the prophets and apostles; today, we just ignore them." Sometimes they tell us things that are hard to hear. Why do you think they crucified Jesus Christ? Whey did they kill the apostles and many others who were sent to warn the people? Because they told them that they needed to change; that the things they were choosing would bring them unhappiness, pain, and spiritual death. It's so amazing to see those who have changed; who have given up things in their life to follow Jesus Christ. It's an incredible transformation and I feel blessed to see the process and the beautiful results with those who join the church here in Italy.

One last thing: This summer my sister, Ellen, and a couple of our friends, Pam and Andre came to visit while the children were in Utah. We had told them that the best time to come would be during interviews because they could travel with us to see the missionaries and would end up seeing a bit more of Italy. We had a wonderful time and it was great to have them. My sister, Ellen, has a blog (also listed as a link at the top of my blog) where she talks about the trip and has posted many beautiful pictures of Italy and some of the missionaries we saw along the way. Please note that she's still in the process of adding more entries, so keep checking back. One of the things she said that's worth noting was that it was so good for her to be able to come and see the missionaries here before she sends her own son out in three to four years. She was so thrilled to see that the missionaries absolutely love their missions. They work hard and are happy and love to serve and share the gospel. She said that because of their example, she won't have any problem sending Andrew out when the time comes. (Yeah, we'll see. :-)

Now, enough of the "update." Next time, I will be sharing some stories from our missionaries and posting some pictures of them so you can see how wonderful they are. They work hard and you parents who may be reading this can be very pleased with their efforts. We appreciate the love and support you give them and us during this time.

All our love,
Sorella Acerson

No comments: