Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Marianne, Marianne, We Love Our Marianne!

Marianne turned 15 today. I told her that she even looks 15 now! I'm not sure how she stayed so happy and pleasant because she's been going to bed very late and waking up way too early with massive amounts of homework, but she did. She loves a challenge and is doing well, so the results are worth the effort.


The best thing about her birthday this year is that I didn't once hear the phrase I heard a hundred times last year: "This birthday is going to be the worst birthday of my life!" She had only been here three months at that time. She had left all her friends back home, didn't feel like she had any new ones, was in a strange school with hard classes, and didn't speak the language. We tried to make it special by inviting all the missionaries in our ward over for Navajo tacos between conference sessions (it was on a Sunday last year). One of the assistants was also celebrating a birthday and he always tried to make Marianne feel special. However, not much worked that day.

What a difference a year makes. Today she got phone calls, dozens of emails and messages from friends (old and new), treats from a good friend, two presents from girls at school, and Scott and his friends sang "Happy Birthday" which prompted other random groups of kids to sing to her throughout the day. She did a presentation on the Sistine Chapel, finished projects, studied for tests, and wrote an essay today -- all with a smile on her face. After her dinner of special requests (white chili chicken soup and poppy seed cake), we opened presents with Lisa on the webcam. (We actually knew where to find presents and even wrapping paper this year!)

She's happy, confident, and a joy to be around. She's been more of a "big sister" to Stephanie now--and even Scott's antics elicited laughter tonight instead of disdain. But I think I should stop there. As she went to bed, she asked me what I was doing. I told her and she said (with a smile), "Just don't embarrass me, OK?"

Marianne, Marianne, we love our Marianne.

1 comment:

Janessa said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARIANNE!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! YOU ARE SO SWEET AND SMART AND COOL AND AWSOME AND..... CALL ME SOON!!!!