Sunday, April 5, 2009

Earthquake in L'Aquila

At 3:32 a.m. this morning, we awoke to a gentle shaking that lasted about a minute. It was my first earthquake, but not President Acerson's. He had experienced a couple of earthquakes while serving his mission in Udine, Italy over 30 years ago (one 6.9 and 7.4).

We received a call a few minutes later from the missionaries in L'Aquila who said that it had hit much harder there (we later found out that this was the epicenter of the quake) and was measured at 6.3. They were fine and visiting with other residents of the city. They later dashed back inside to get warm clothing then walked to the bus station to see if the buses were running (they aren't as they have closed all roads so they can check the stability of the many tunnels and bridges that surround that area).

We have been in contact with the parents of the four missionaries who serve there (Elder Wheeler, Elder Brothers, Elder Grigg, and Elder Brock) but cannot call all parents to reassure them that their missionaries are fine. We hope this will help reassure those who need more information.

These missionaries will have many service opportunities over the next several days. We ask you to join us in prayer for the residents of L'Aquila and the surrounding cities who have lost loved ones.

These are some of the pictures taken by my sister Ellen James last summer before any of the current damage. We will post pictures from our missionaries there when we receive them.






Click here to see more pictures of L'Aquila. It is a beautiful old city and we pray that there is minimal damage, death, or injury to the people who live there.

7 comments:

Moab Cozzens said...

Glad to hear you are ok, hope all missionaries and members will be alright. I am still up getting ready for Governor Huntsman's visit tomorrow. He will be going for a ride with several of us from Ride with Respect, we are hoping to get his help in dealing with the BLM and State on trail issues.

Ellen James said...

So glad everything is ok with the missionaries. I was really worried last night. I hope there is minimal damage in L'Auaila as well, it is one of the prettiest cities.

Adam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adam said...

President and Sister Acerson, I heard about the earthquake first from your blog post. I've been a bit choked up all day. I served as Branch President in L'Aquila for 6 months in 1994 and I grew to love that city and it's people more than any other area I served in. I grieve for those who've lost their homes and loved ones and my heart goes out to them. I'm so glad to hear that the missionaries serving there are safe and sound. Their help will be needed in that city now more than ever. When you have confirmation on the safety of the members of the branch will you try to let us know? Give our love to everyone. Let them know we are praying for them. Che Dio sia con voi, Aquilini!

-Adam Bayless

Anthony D said...

Thank you for the update on Facebook and on your blog. I'm relieved that all the missionaries and members are ok. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you, always!

~Anthony Donohoo

Unknown said...

President and Sister Acerson, My name is Tara Motyer and we attended the L'Aquila branch in 2000/01. We lived in Avezzano for a year and a half. I've been back to visit several times since then and I love this branch and its wonderful members! I have been in contact with AnnaMaria Hibo and am getting updates from her but I only have home phone numbers for the other branch members. I would especially like to speak with the Melone family and the Diodato family. If you have cell numbers for them, could you please email me this information? Thank You so much! Tara Motyer canucks_6@msn.com

Kokopelli Karen said...

Whitney and I visited Dr.Brian Graff yesterday (ortho stuff of course) and he told us about the quake and his anticipated trip today or tomorrow. I'm saddened by the injuries and death toll. The Dailey Herald ran an article quoting Massimo Cialente, "...they don't have toothbrushes, they don't have toothpaste," I know a church that can help with that...wink, wink. Take care!